In doctor waiting rooms, there's always magazines. It's always nice to be able to find a nice story on someone dealing with cancer every once in a while. I often thought that they should come up with a fashionable cancer magazine. Like pieces on trendy wigs or active meditation exercises for chemo patients, stories of survivorship, and stuff. Like Cosmo or some magazine that's of the supermarket checkout ilk. The "So you have cancer" publications that litter an oncologist's waiting room are sterile and don't provide any real information like "never shave again! hot new chemos that get rid of the hair fast. Just in time for summer!" or "Men who love bald" with sexy bald ladies in plunging necklines and velvet draped ports on the covers. Really. I think it would make people feel like they have a life rather than deal with depressing stuff like death or being sick. Laughing would be encouraged. All these magazines try their best to convey "you are a real person" but in reality they are generic explanations of what chemo does to you and to be careful of constipation. Who wants to read that kind of stuff?
I don't like using words with negative connotations when speaking about cancer. It's negative enough just saying "cancer".
unless your an astrologer.
I'm walking through this with my head up as high as I can get it and a damn smile on my face. I am extremely grateful for every single day, every person I meet, and know, and all the things around me.
Is it weird to be grateful for the shitty experiences too? The amazing teachers they are, how can you not be?
Seriously, life is great. Wherever you go, there you are. Serious is boring.
......
I went to the chiropractor again today to keep the works going. My chiropractor is great. He fixes my pinched nerves, headaches and work related maladies perfectly. Right before I was diagnosed, he was watching a webinar of another chiropractor who treated cancer patients and combined traditional treatments with regular adjustments. Overall- the study says that the outcome is so much better for patients who combine the two plus acupuncture, massage therapy, reiki, etc. It's great to see the medical profession really cool with the other side of medicine.
It's always the side I went with since an infant. My mom never took us to doctors, we always went to the chiropractor. If we had a cold, we were better the next day with a simple adjustment.
Sad to see some other people who claim the title of chiropractor and use it to bilk their patients out of good $, xrays, and unnecessary 'regular' visits. Those folks are quacks.
Always a fan of a great chiro. :)
and I'm looking forward to a great sleep from the visit.
.....
I'm enjoying a rare glass of red wine tonight - I've had 2 since the chemo started- Tonight I toast my awesome hair, and I'm treating myself to some funky nail polish and a small night of prettying myself up in prep for the big hair funeral tomorrow. I'm from New Jersey- we stereotypically mourn the loss of big hair.
Waxing nostalgic for times when I could walk into the Korean nail parlor and get the works, but I'm infection prone and I can't be doing that. But I miss those awesome Koreans. Noone does eyebrows like USA Nails on Bridge Ave.
As far as air conditioning- it's ironic how I had to deal with sweltering conditions without AC, then it got fixed and it cools down. LOL. I did find out however that the vents and the vents only had been cleaned in the past- never the main unit- so this was the first time the AC was cleaned since it was installed 39 years ago. Good thing this is a family house.Holy crap 39 years.
It smells awesome, the AC goes all over the house and I don't have to crank it anymore.
:)
Ironic that my first phase of chemo is also called AC.
and I love Atlantic City too. With my propensity for attracting infection, a trip to the slots and roulette tables are out of the question, along with the new tattoo I was planning on getting, the trip out west I wanted, and train rides up to NYC.
Can't . Do . Most. Anything. Fun. :( Hmph.
I am really looking forward to the husband and New Riders of the Purple Sage at the Pony on the 8th. eeeeeeek. Buddy Cage was also recently diagnosed with multiple myeloma just like my dad was so I hope I get a chance to give him a hug.
He's a friend to Mark and has played on a few albums of his so we're looking forward to seeing him. Mark has been in the studio recording a new album, and Buddy agreed to contribute. I'm really psyched.
Neil Diamond in NY on the 10th, Bruce Hornsby on the 11th in Asbury- so many crazy awesome shows I want to do them all!!!!! I should get them in before the storm really hits, no? I got my live nation employment connections, might as well see if they work. :)
Tomorrow the haircut.
2 comments:
You know... The whole, Cant be around infections thing. I understand, but how sad to get cancer and then face not doing things you enjoy. You can pick up infection anywhere though. Work, through kids, doctor offices, etc. That being said, can't you go out a little...or is it forbidden/cautioned? Taking away freedom would be bigger to me than the feeling sick, losing hair, etc. I never thought about that part. Not to be depressing. Silver lining? I get my nails done. That's it. You? When you can get them done again, and you will, you will totally appreciate it. It'll be like a trip to Disney. I CAN GET MY NAILS DONE! Pretty cool. Hugs sistah. Many hugs.
hugs hugs hugs. i bet your new 'do looks awesome. and Go. See. Hornsby!! he's amazeballs :) <3
Post a Comment