Merry Pinktober.
Where breast cancer ribbons show up on everything from processed cheese food slices to handguns.
Nothing says cure like a ham wrapped in pink plastic in the deli section of stop n shop.
And my personal favorite of the week:
Hope is a beautiful thing.
All these products I hope to use again one day?
Because I have no period, my hair fell out, I don't need to shave all that often (no hair) and that aluminum in deodorant I don't subscribe too anyway.
Please do not get me wrong- I applaud the efforts of any fundraiser whose drive is based in helping others instead of corporate greed. But this ad is not curing cancer. and adding "Do it for the girls" just ups the tasteless level. not to mention that if you follow the donation path in this coupon book- it'll take you 50 million coupons to raise that amount of money because it states 1 cent goes from every coupon redeemed to "early detection". It sucks when your cancer is exploited for profit.
In this month of Breast Cancer Awareness or as some call it "Pinktober", "Screwtober", "Pinktoberfest"- where everything just goes overboard and little money is actually sent to 'research'- there is a LOT of greed.
There are other ways to be aware, like self exams (mammograms do not always detect tumors!!) , getting regular check ups with thorough examination and paying attention to your body's signals...Noone is immune. And this is an EPIDEMIC. Men and women.
I put off my annual exam. I wish I hadn't. But no pink ribbon ever made me want to do it either.
I just kept saying "ok- when I have time.....I'll make that appointment".
...... would they have found it earlier? who knows? Maybe.
And I'm not the only person who has dealt with breast cancer disgusted by this month and it's holiday like cause marketing. There are MANY of us.
Noone has a cause for it, and there still is no cure. Many empty promotions find themselves in the light around October. Many who do very much good as well. Research where the money is going and ask questions if you are looking to donate to the cause.
This blog post is an excellent breakdown of numbers of where Komen donates their money. It is not as much as one might think.
Think before you Pink.
While all of this is great, I am subscribing to Susan Love's "Blog for Love" pledge.
It's where I tell you to enact your help into putting to action for breast cancer research :
From Susan Love's facebook:
How do I Act with Love?
Despite the reigning success of Breast Cancer Awareness Month and millions of dollars raised, we still have very little knowledge about breast cancer. Now is the time to shift the discussion from awareness to pinpointing the cause and accelerating prevention--and you can help! Turn your fervent awareness of this disease that affects one in eight women, and take action by investing yourself in breast cancer research. Together we can fast track research and end breast cancer within our lifetime.
What is the Health of Women study?
With the introduction of the Health of Women study (HOW) on October 1st, the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation will revolutionize the fight against breast cancer. By crowdsourcing health information, and involving the general public directly, we will uncover the information that will end breast cancer. This groundbreaking initiative invites the public, men and women over the age of 18 of all health backgrounds, to be collaborators by participating in the study via the web or on their mobile devices. HOW will also turn traditional research practices on its head by creating a venue for researchers to gather and share information, with the definitive goal of ending breast cancer. To learn more about the Health of Women study, visit: www.healthofwomenstudy.org.
So visit!
Help out by visiting the link above and take a few minutes to answer some questions. Susan Love is a breakthrough in the true fight for the cause and eradictaing breast cancer from the face of the earth.

Thank you.
xo
b

No comments:
Post a Comment